: Re: Count the dead Russians/ Americans

Brad Mayer bradley.mayer at ebay.sun.com
Wed Oct 3 17:11:38 PDT 2001

At 01:58 PM 10/3/01 -0400, you wrote:
>You seem to assume (as many on the Left) that the US involvement is a
>critical factor here - that is, there would be no Islamist fundamentalism
>had it not been for the US support of that movement under the rubric of
>anti-communism

But, who is asserting such an absurdity? In fact, this turns the correct formulation upside down: it is the alliance of convenience with fundamentalism (beginning with the House of Saud, 1933) - an alliance that continues up to this very minute - being a critical factor (because of the destruction of the WTC, among others) in the trajectory of US involvement in the Middle East and South Asia at least, if not the world.

The analogy with Nazi Germany is off base on another score: Germany was an independent imperialist contender, Saudi Arabia is a dependent US client (N.B. and unlike Israel, _not_ an extension).

Like Henry Ford, Brezinski (excuse my Polish) did not "create" the muhajadeen when he went up, turban-headed, to the Kyber pass to shout "Allah is on your side!" - rather, the situation - which included the muhajadeen, among others - created Brezinski.

-Brad Mayer