Ideological Purity Re: WWP and working with them.

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Oct 5 08:38:37 PDT 2001

Steve says:

>I would hardly characterize, though,
>Yoshie's posts during this moment of organizing the anti-war movement as
>sectarian. In fact, she seems to be going out of her way to avoid that in
>her organizing strategy.

Our organizing strategy at this point is to activate diverse groups of individuals who want to stop the war, fight racism, & defend civil liberties into becoming organizers in their own communities (= existing networks of personal connections & social institutions), using their own words & tactics (as opposed to having them adopt predetermined ones), while plugging them all into an expanding network of our ad-hoc anti-war coalition (for which purpose we have big weekly meetings on Sundays, in addition to a growing anti-war e-list & website I set up). To make it visual, we're trying to help create one big expanding circle, in which an increasing number of overlapping circles of anti-war organizers will exist. Centralize & decentralize at the same time: centralize in the sense of collecting & disseminating info about existing & emerging poles of activities to all; and decentralize in the sense of trusting organizers to act independently, on their own initiatives (e.g., make their own flyers), making lateral personal connections.

Yoshie