Blair's evidence against Bin Laden

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Fri Oct 5 11:19:22 PDT 2001

I guess not :). But perhaps they are hiding out in groups in caves etc that might be accessed by special forces. Otherwise what are the special forces doing? I guess that may be a good question since they have been in Afghanistan a month without any news of any breakthroughs.

Do you not think that some type of military action even if limited and largely symbolic is necessary? Israel's actions seem to be directed not just at perpetrators but much more widely. Bulldozing houses etc. shelling police stations is hardly any sort of direct attack on the terrorists themselves or shooting stone throwing protestors.

Cheers, Ken Hanly

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Perelman" <michael at ecst.csuchico.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Friday, October 05, 2001 12:51 PM Subject: Re: Blair's evidence against Bin Laden

> Would the terrorists be silly enough to wait in a training camp. Isn't
> the usual tactic to disperse and wait and then attack when the invader is
> most vulnerable? Say, to shoot a couple of soldiers who wander off.
> Then, the invader retaliates in a way that wins sympathy for the
> terrorist.
>
> If this sort of tactic is so good, why haven't the Israeli assinations
> brought peace?
>
> On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 12:31:50PM -0500, Ken Hanly wrote:
> > But when commandos enter terrorist training camps or whatever attempting
> > arrest suspected terrorists surely they are bound to encounter
resistance.
> > Are the commandos simply to surround a camp as police might surround a
house
> > and use tear gas or whatever to get them out. In a situation where the
area
> > is controlled by the Taliban or bin Laden supporters this is hardly an
> > option.
> > The other main reason I have for supporting limited intervention to
> > "bring justice" to the terrorists is that this seems to be the minimal
> > response politically possible, even if it is not desirable in the
abstract.
> > Should public opinion suddenly turn against Bush, he may be forced into
> > dramatic and reckless action to placate the people and regain his
> > popularity.
> > I question the possibility of any terrorists getting a fair trial
> > anywhere in the present climate of opinion. Neither bringing justice to
the
> > terrorists or the terrorists to justice will involve much justice.
However,