translation software

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Oct 9 12:18:44 PDT 2001

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, Seth Ackerman wrote:

> I've used Babelfish before for German. It yields a lot of garble, but
> armed with a German-English dictionary, it's easy to figure out a good
> translation, especially if you know the subject matter already. It's
> time-consuming, though.

Exactly. I know German, and I can get it into a final state faster by hand than by using Babelfish (although it's very handy when you don't know a language). I was wondering if there wasn't something higher level by now that was good enough that professional translators could profitably use it to save time. Probably something that costs money.

Michael