discourse

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Tue Oct 9 13:36:04 PDT 2001

> Yes, I want a democratic forum. My complaint was that lots of
> listmembers don't seem to agree - they don't want to hear from people
> whose interests, beliefs, or temperaments are significantly different
> from theirs. And they have the epithets to prove it.
>
> Doug

Since I, of late, have been tossing out rather choice epithets, I should add that I don't mind who posts here. I can learn from just about anyone, whether positive or negative. For example, I think Carrol is incredibly judgmental, arrogant and lost in some commie netherworld that might have had some relevance 40 years ago, but says nothing to the average person struggling today. Yet, I find Carrol's posts intelligently written, at times quite perceptive, and more than once in the past month I've nodded in agreement. For another example, Nathan is too soft, in my view, on current US power arrangements, and his support for NATO's bombing of Serbia leaves me cold. But, like Carrol, Nathan's posts are well-written, clear if not convincing, and, again, I find myself agreeing with other elements of his arguments. And so on.

Doug, there are gonna be posters who just don't get along and who will not mix, regardless of the circumstances. To be expected, especially in the highly-charged atmosphere in which we currently find ourselves. But to pull the plug on what, for me, is a must-have outlet would be tragic and counterproductive.

DP