Milo

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Oct 29 06:10:02 PST 2001

[A lurking listmember sent me this after reading the HRW report rather than posting it because of fear of being labeled a "genocide denier."]

It appears to me that this report shows:

-- Milo's crimes, at least the ones reported here, occurred after the start of the bombing

-- the KLA's crime reported here occurred both before the after the bombing

-- 1k Serbs and Roma have been killed in Kosovo since the bombing, and 200k Serbs have fled

-- and (we already know) that the Kosovar refugee crisis was largely a response to the bombing and/or crimes escalated against that population as a result of the bombing.

Now, I don't think that that makes Milo not-guilty and I am not against his trial. He seem to have been responsible for reprehensible crimes. What I'm interested in, though, is whether or not Milo was ethnically cleansing, as NATO claimed at the time. From this report it seems like the KLA was waging a serious campaign of terror, that a repressive Serbian government escalated crimes against Kosovars in response to nato bombing, and that the KLA continued its own campaign of terror after Milo was removed from power.