nference on Racism:Jewish Caucus Statement

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Sep 7 09:54:49 PDT 2001

Carrol Cox wrote:

>Doug Henwood wrote:
>>
>> Macdonald Stainsby wrote:
>>
>> >I mean Israel. A country founded on that notion cannot remain.
>> >It's sad I need to say this, but of course I mean the state not the people.
>> >
>> >I would also add in all settler states and Britain (just for kicks).
>>
>> So where are all these people supposed to go? Into the seas? Is
>> Canada included?
>>

>Everyone has the right to be deliberately obtuse at times, but Doug
>abuses the privilege.

I never grew up, either. Or so I've been told.

> The "mere" granting of equal rights to
>Palestinians would in effect be a dissolution of the state of Israel.
>Any defense of the continued existence of the _state_ of Israel is a
>defense of apartheid hiding behind the misuse of language.

Granting of equal rights to Palestinians? Within what context? An independent Palestinian state? To Palestinians and other Arabs living within Israel?

You can't seriously believe that dissolving the state of Israel - and I have no idea what you really mean by its dissolution "in effect" (will they still have an army? taxing authority? control over land use?) - would have no consequences for the people who live there. Israel exists. it's not going away anytime soon. The South African state was transformed to end apartheid, but it didn't dissolve, even "in effect."

Doug