Canadian Labour Congress: Solidarity, yes! - Racism, never!

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall_2 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 15 00:31:07 PDT 2001

Attention News/Labour Editors:

Solidarity, yes! - Racism, never!

OTTAWA, Sept. 14 /CNW/ - On behalf of all working people in this country, the Canadian Labour Congress denounces and condemns all racist and discriminatory acts perpetrated against innocent fellow citizens of Islamic faith or of Arabic ancestry. "It is in difficult times like these, that we must have the public courage to be true to the ideals of solidarity, respect and mutual help that make this country strong," said Ken Georgetti, president of the Canadian Labour Congress. "I urge everyone to make it a personal responsibility to protect and promote the respect, safety and well-being of our Muslim or Arab sisters and brothers."

Since the attacks on the United States of America, on Tuesday, Canadian Muslims or of Arabic origin have been the victims of a number of unforgivable incidents. It is not acceptable that Canadian citizens and their children are made to suffer unjustly as if they were associated with these attacks. "This is the time for us all to show to one another the true meaning of solidarity" said Georgetti.

The Canadian Labour Congress applauds and endorses the initiative of the Canadian Federation of Nurses Unions that is asking working people across this country to take part in a sticker campaign with the slogan: "Muslim Canadians - We are all Canadians."

The Canadian Labour Congress, the national voice of the labour movement, represents 2.5 million Canadian workers. The CLC brings together the majority of Canada's national and international unions along with the provincial and territorial federations of labour and 132 district labour councils. Web site: http://www.clc-ctc.ca

-30-

For further information: Jean Wolff, 613-526-7431 and 613-798-6040; Jeff Atkinson, 613-526-7425 and 613-292-1413 CANADIAN LABOUR CONGRESS has 193 releases in this database

===== Kevin Dean Buffalo, NY ICQ: 8616001 http://www.yaysoft.com

__________________________________________________ Terrorist Attacks on U.S. - How can you help? Donate cash, emergency relief information http://dailynews.yahoo.com/fc/US/Emergency_Information/