A Suggestion for Leftist Rhetoric

David Hearne ottercrk at sover.net
Thu Sep 20 12:38:20 PDT 2001

>You want us to explore why these particular people acted in such and
>such a way. That question is 1) unanswerable and 2) uninteresting.

I agree, but I don't propose the question. My exact words were "I believe we should understand the WTC attack as an act of insanity and leave it at that."

>In reference terrorism, it is not interesting why John rather than
Sally
>commits a terrorist act. It is interesting why terrorism is an option
in
>the world of 2001 while it wasn't particularly an option in (say)
15,000
>BP. And analysis of individuals, whether ethical, psychological, or
>astrological does not help us with that question.

Again I agree. However, it seemed that during the first week, there was a good deal of discussion about the possible motives of the hijackers. Their educational background was mentioned repeatedly. Even as attempts were made to prove that they did not represent the Arab community, there was also attempts by the same people to understand them as...representatives of the Arab community.

-- David