Hitchens responds to critics

Forstater, Mathew ForstaterM at umkc.edu
Tue Sep 25 09:33:57 PDT 2001

if "crowded VA neighborhood" were replaced with "densely populated VA county" or suburb, though, then it would be ok, right? I once made a wrong turn or got off the wrong exit going to visit my brother and family in Arlington or Alexandria and suddenly found myself in the Pentagon parking lot. If his point is that it is not a high security military base, then I think that he is right, and that could have been the idea of some outside the U.S.?

-----Original Message----- From: Max Sawicky [mailto:sawicky at bellatlantic.net] Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2001 11:13 AM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: RE: Hitchens responds to critics

A bit of Hitch weirdness:

"The Pentagon, for all its symbolism, is actually more the civil-service bit of the American 'war-machine,' and is set in a crowded Virginia neighborhood. . . .

One would think that across the street from the P there are town-houses and people walking their dogs. In fact the P is surrounded by parking lots, fields, and freeways. It is no more in a "crowded Virginia neighborhood" than some huge shopping mall.

mbs