Japanese slackers

pms laflame at aaahawk.com
Wed Apr 3 08:55:31 PST 2002

More broadly these trends express the evacuation of historical subjectivity, I argue in my new book, The Death of the Subject Explained. -- James Heartfield The 'Death of the Subject' Explained is available at GBP11.00, plus

Would "evacuation of historical subjectivity" have anything to do with, like, after the war there was all this focus, and sort of a "let's work together" attitude that included the secure employment social contract(and apparently from a story I just read, affordable health care coverage based on income?), and then as western culture takes hold and success breeds arrogance on corporate and personal levels, everybody gets slack, maybe in different ways. So the attitudes are there when the downturn hits and contribute to it, but are also exagerated by it.

Also, what do you all think of the explaination for the Asian monetary crisis, including Japan, that that Chambers guy(who I get the impression is distained by list members, no?) writes about in Blowback? Wasn't one of his main points that the US giveth the economic miracle by preferential treatment, so the US can taketh away the economic miracle?