Oracle puts tech center in China's Silicon Valley

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Thu Apr 4 17:15:37 PST 2002

The Times of India

TUESDAY, MARCH 26, 2002

Oracle puts tech center in China's Silicon Valley

REUTERS

REDWOOD SHORES, California: With an eye toward growing business in China, database giant Oracle on Monday said that it would soon open its first development center in Shenzhen - South China's 'Silicon Valley'.

The Oracle China Development Center is slated to be operational by May 2002. Oracle said that it expected to employ 100 staffers within the center's first six months of operation and that it would rapidly expand the development teams' ranks during the center's first five years of operation.

"We expect to play an important role in China by expanding into one of the country's most rapidly growing trade zones," Derek Williams, executive vice-president of Oracle's Asia Pacific division, said in a statement.

Oracle - which is headquartered in the heart of California's Silicon Valley - has had operations in China for more than a decade.

"We will develop Internet-based products and services specifically for our Chinese customers," Williams said.

Oracle also said that it had begun working on providing infrastructure to support China's nation-wide mobile network expansion.

Additionally, the company said that it planned to establish validation laboratories to test so-called "third generation" -or the 3G platform - mobile devices designed for use in China, which is expected to become the world's largest mobile network.

Copyright © 2002 Times Internet Limited. All rights reserved.