indymedia-copvcia

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Apr 4 17:44:04 PST 2002

C P wrote:

> I know people who worked at the NSA who have scary stories.

Gee. Everyone has scary stories. I was attached to NSA 1951-1955 as a cryptanalyst. (I discovered the fact that the Czech Border Guard Traffic was only pseudo-onetime pad.) NSA eavesdrops on everyone, friend and foe. But they don't engage in "operations." And there is something scary about eavesdropping only to the naive. It's been going on for a long time. One of the first bits of advice passed on to new movement people in the '60s was don't delude yourself into thinking the telephone is a private utility. At the last SDS convention there were about 6 cops (in civvies) at every corner within 6 blocks of the ampitheatre, and every second story window on the block had a camera sticking out of it. They collect so damn much information that it probably chokes even the super-computers they have at NSA.

There is enough horror out in the open without going around screaming and whining about conspiracies.

Carrol