Tom the Exterminator on the Middle East

Naji Dahi n.dahi12 at gte.net
Fri Apr 5 12:16:00 PST 2002

Do you really believe that Arab states have one interest in common?? Come on. Let me point you to a book by the late Malcolm Kerr, The Arab Cold War. It details all the inter-Arab conflict during 1950-70 during the height of Arab Nationalism. Basically the Arab countries were split between two camps the so called nationalist states (Egypt, Syria, Iraq) and the monarchist cons states (SA, Kuwait, UAE).

Infact Egypt fought a war in Yemen with SA over the future of Yemen. One of the many reasons that Egyptian forces were smacked really hard by Israel during the 67 war was the quagmire that Egypt was involved in in Yemen.

Does that sound like a cohesive Arab position to you?? If the Arab states have such unity why would they constantly bicker and fight with each other.

Let us take another example. Syria, the so called champion of Palestinian rights, is to a large part responsible for defeating the the progressive Lebanese/Palestinian alliance in Lebanon. They smacked them hard in 1975. Then Syria helped evict Arafat from Tripoli. then Syria sponsored deep divisions within the PLO to promote its own interests.

Does that sound like unity to you?

Naji

----- Original Message ----- From: "virgil tibbs" <sheik_of_encino at yahoo.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Friday, April 05, 2002 10:35 AM Subject: Re: Tom the Exterminator on the Middle East