Oh those Right Wing Weblogs

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Apr 6 10:02:14 PST 2002

Gordon Fitch wrote:

>Norah Vincent is not really very bright, and is much given
>to slightly out-of-date clichés, like the ones about the
>Liberal Media and how the Truth Is Out There On The Internet.
>While her work is boring, her success is rather amusing,
>considering that not so long ago she was writing dumb articles
>about her cat for the _NY_Press_. I think Russ moved her
>right along, though. Now she, too, is the Liberal Media. I
>guess they deserve one another.

And she's a fascinating example of how "dissidence" gets constructed in the mainstream. She's a lesbian conservative. That makes her exotic. So her dumb articles that would get almost no attention were they written by a straight male somehow get valorized as fresh. It's not surprising NY Press hired her, but it is a measure of just how debased the Village Voice has gotten that they did. Though she now seems to be gone, not that the VV has improved.

Doug