Moore's representation of the working class

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Mon Apr 8 20:45:35 PDT 2002

> But I think he tries too hard to exude working class
> cred. So he ends up projecting a rather patronizing, even insulting,
> and cliched image of what the "real" working class is like.
>
> Doug

Well, let's remember that Moore comes from radical UAW stock, that his uncle (I believe) was part of the famous Flint sit-down strike, that he began his political/entertainment career by publishing the Flint Voice, which was very pro-worker, and later became the Michigan Voice before closing down due to his being hired as editor of Mother Jones. So Moore does have some real cred on this front, and got lucky with "Roger & Me," which of course made him wealthy (and which ends, if you recall, with Palestinians throwing rocks at the IDF). His subsequent work is more or less the same shtick, but does have its finer moments.

DP