McReynolds on A20 controversies

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Tue Apr 9 08:04:31 PDT 2002

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> >>Indeed. Dave is the original "can't we all get along?" guy.
> >
> >And I admire him for it. I'm no fan of WWP/IAC/ANSWER either, but I
> >think it's important to have as many bodies in DC on A20 as
> >possible, and if the WWP conglomerate can turn out some bodies, good
> >for them.
> >
> >Doug
>
> Right. From the points of view of those outside the movement against
> the war in the USA -- the US power elite, the mass media, Americans
> who have yet to come out in opposition to the war, foreigners paying
> attention to American politics -- the only thing that counts is
> numbers. Political differences between
> <http://www.internationalanswer.org/> and
> <http://www.a20stopthewar.org/> will be completely lost on outsiders.
> The more I think about this, the dumber the squabble -- separate
> rallies on the same day! -- looks.

Oh brother, yet another appeal to silence criticism because of some "bigger enemy." Fuck, this is so predictable.

Look, if we are interested in being effective, we have to be critical (and possibly marginalize) groups that disrupt our activism and/or domesticate it for the ruling class. If we want to be effective in our social change, we need to be critical about our methods and our political partners. The IAC/WWP/ANSWER set up a competing rally on April 27 and when it became obvious that there were a bunch of protests the previous weekend, they moved their event to compete with the other events. Not only is this confusing people, but the IAC is making its standard moves to hog the limelight, like they did yesterday at their press conference. You can argue that they are organized enough to do this crap, but this only shows that the IAC is lying when it talks about "unity." If the IAC/ANSWER was interested in unity, why aren't they joining with the other coalitions? Why do they continue to organize competing events?

We know that answer. Because they are sectarian vanguardist parasites.

I'm nor surprised that Yoshie would apologize for the IAC bastards. Frankly, I can't see why *any* activist would stand up for them, knowing what they do to other activists.

<< Chuck0 >>

Personal homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/index.html Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)