Ivy Legacies

Marco Anglesio mpa at the-wire.com
Wed Apr 10 07:04:35 PDT 2002

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Justin Schwartz wrote:
> Even today, at Princeton, an alumni child had a 40% chance of admission, as
> opposed to to about 10% for the general population. There were plenty of
> them in my time, four years after Doug's. . . . I married one! (Her dad,
> class of '49, got in on the GI Bill.)

It doesn't seem to be restricted to US universities, either. Queen's (University at Kingston), my alma mater, seems to take it into account, too.

That said, is it any harder to get a degree at one university than any other? It's my understanding that variation in this respect is quite small, although there may be more top-quartile competition at elite schools than others.

Marco