Weber

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Thu Apr 11 13:58:38 PDT 2002

At 11:16 PM 04/10/2002 -0400, you wrote:
> I have long thought that progressive sociologists who have a
>soft spot for Max Weber do not know the real Weber. As Mort Wenger used
>to say, they know the Americanized, sanitized, Parsonized Weber who was
>reinvented for Cold War purposes as an alternative to Marx. They fail
>to see the profound Euro-centrism and racism that is at the core of
>Weber's sociology. Perhaps that is also why those who see Weber as a
>sort of comrade-in-arms of Marx also tend to support some of the
>imperialist wars fought by the "Enlightenment West" against elements of
>the "culturally backward Orient." Thus, clarification of the
>differences between Marx and Weber is connected to the contemporary
>struggle against imperialist war.

I remember reading Weber -- out of curiosity -- the Protestant Ethic and the Rise of Capitalism. I found it somewhat interesting, mostly because I'm not a protestant and did not know much about the ideology. But, other than that, Weber does not hold a candle to Marx. Weber is an idealist and therefore not terribly useful.

Joanna