Weber

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Thu Apr 11 14:57:35 PDT 2002

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, joanna bujes wrote:

> I remember reading Weber -- out of curiosity -- the Protestant Ethic and
> the Rise of Capitalism. I found it somewhat interesting, mostly because
> I'm not a protestant and did not know much about the ideology. But, other
> than that, Weber does not hold a candle to Marx. Weber is an idealist and
> therefore not terribly useful.
>
> Joanna

Joanna,

stand back. Kel is about to zoom in with her 180 wpm defense of Weber against charges of crude idealism. If I recall, Justin also tends to question this Weber = idealist equation.

As sociological theory goes, Weber's not bad, really. You should read Parsons if you want an example of some truly obfuscatory academic tripe that doesn't hold a candle to old whiskers.

Miles