Weber

kelley at pulpculture.org kelley at pulpculture.org
Thu Apr 11 15:22:59 PDT 2002

At 02:57 PM 4/11/02 -0700, Miles Jackson wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, joanna bujes wrote:
>
> > I remember reading Weber -- out of curiosity -- the Protestant Ethic and
> > the Rise of Capitalism. I found it somewhat interesting, mostly because
> > I'm not a protestant and did not know much about the ideology. But, other
> > than that, Weber does not hold a candle to Marx. Weber is an idealist and
> > therefore not terribly useful.
> >
> > Joanna
>
>Joanna,
>
>stand back. Kel is about to zoom in with her 180 wpm defense of Weber
>against charges of crude idealism. If I recall, Justin also
>tends to question this Weber = idealist equation.

no, it would be an attack on those who don't bother to read what they are criticizing. steve rosenthal i used to respect. no more! i can do 180mph on how Weber's theory is a mess. i just get thoroughly disgusted with people who don't actually _read_ what they are criticizing. for steve rosenthal to argue that weber's only use of the concept of rationality/rationalization was about upholding the superiority of the west is just laughable and an embarrassment to the discipline he claims to represent.

kelley