HTML

kelley at pulpculture.org kelley at pulpculture.org
Wed Apr 24 09:35:28 PDT 2002

At 11:58 AM 4/24/02 -0400, pms wrote:
>When you say HTML is bad, I guess you mean because it eats up bandwidth?

it's primarily b/c when you use HTMl, you are exposing yourself to the risk of a virus. There have been several viruses that exploit microsoft Outhouse' and the Microsoft HTML viewer. Those worms were capable of infecting your machine when you DID NOT OPEN AN EMAIL.

all you had to do was preview it in the preview pane, for one worm.

for the others, all you had to do was open the email itself. YOU DID NOT HAVE TO OPEN AN ATTACHMENT.

that sucks for you. that sucks for me, list members, everyone in your address book, and panix because we get hit with your virus traffic.

it does double the bandwidth of a message, yes. that sucks b/c doug says he's rather pay for content, not bloated code.

>And Doug is metered or something? Does Doug take contributions towards this
>expense?

yes, but he doesn't have to be metered. there are several places he could host the list for $10 a month. or, for free if he paid $14 a month to host his site.

you can send contributions to him through paypal. i've wired to his bank in past. or, write a check and land mail

>Would it be just as helpful to like, send a sub to the local
>library? Also, are links HTML? And am I doing wrong stuff in my posts. I
>just caught this drift.

not that i've noticed.... links aren't html unless you send them in the body of a message using html.