The Clash of Fundamentalisms

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 30 10:44:52 PDT 2002

> > Maybe it's you, Chuck, or maybe it's me with my relative success as a
>lawyer
> > and formerly a professor, but I don't experience this yawning void,
>etc.,
>of
> > which you speak. I think what's called for is materialist analysis of
>the
> > appeals of fundamentalism, not existentialism. jks
>
>What would a materialist analysis look like, in this case? If it were to
>be
>plausible, it would have to account for the vast psychic comfort of a)
>believing in God and b) believing yourself to be (infallibly) in the right.
>
>-- Luke

Materialist doesn'r mean narrowly economic, as in,w ho's making money off it. It means,w ith attention to class position and consciousness, social relations--not jsut universal angst having to do with theEmptiness of Modern Society. For a deeply spiritually attuned materialist account of a religious revival, read EP Thompson's chapteron Wesleyianism in The Making of the English Working Class.

jks

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx