How Long, How Long? When will 'we' ever learn? Re: startrib letterresponse to Liza's column on Minn. Greens

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Aug 5 13:54:04 PDT 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

> steve philion wrote:
>

> Clearly you don't understand The World According To Cox. The Dems are
> evil, so you should never vote for one.

I don't know whether dems are evil or not, evil being a sort of silly word. But there is pretty good evidence, much of it collected at one point or the other in the writings of a certain dh, that the Democratic Party _as an institutions, and regardless of the intentions of x of its elected officials and the actions of one or two, provides little if any concrete results for people in the short run, and in the long run it acts primarily to siphon off strength from potential or actual mass movements.

Now if one thinks that struggle is really pointless, that it is a metaphysical truth that Capital has triumphed and good things for the people can come only at the hands of the (allegedly) less vicious servants of Capital, then I suppose it is "practical" to go begging to the Democrats.

I do doubt (as Doug does when he's not commenting on me) that there is any great probability of success (however defined) in the near future, but to surrender completely as Doug and Liza seem to advocate would, it seems to me, make life outside of daydreaming sort of pointless.

Carrol