Gore did it to himself

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Tue Aug 6 00:09:23 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin Schwartz" <jkschw at hotmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, August 05, 2002 8:20 PM Subject: Re: Gore did it to himself

> "Excuse" him? Since when does the leader of a rival political party owe
the
> candidate of his opponent's party his support?

He shouldn't bother running when the interests he supposedly serves will likely be done a disservice by his presence in a race. Are the issues progressives care about more imperiled because Bush, and not Gore, won? I would think so.

> What's to excuse? No apologies. Bush sucks, but the only thing we
Naderites
> regret is that our guy didn't do better.

I guess the recent gift the Senate gave to creditors everywhere really isn't cause for regret, then.

> We're called "supporters."

Those unwilling to honestly account for the foreseeable consequences of their support are apologists. Since you apparently lack any inclination to defend the ridiculous assertion that Nader's candidacy didn't play a crucial role in Gore's defeat, you may well not belong in that category.

> You guys are the apologists. You have something
> to apologize for. We don't.

Only if you think "the worse, the better" is a coherent electoral strategy.

-- Luke