crappy American meat

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Tue Aug 6 11:23:01 PDT 2002

At 11:34 AM 08/06/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>The agriculture industry succeeded in subverting the American Constitution
>and put Americans' lives in danger in order to boost profits. Why, they must
>be thinking, can't we do the same in Russia? If they can do it in America,
>surely, they can do it anywhere they please.

My first job was working in a slaughterhouse (beef); I had to go there a few times a week to obtain cow uteruses and then isolate the protein from the tissue in preparation for ob/gyn research on the effect of prostaglandins on smooth muscle tissue.

At any rate, I spent about eight hours a week in a slaughterhouse and observed the goings on. There were USDA inspectors: you could tell, because they were the only white people there. They spent most of their time in the office drinking coffee. Every once in a while, they would come to the killing floor, observe briefly, and leave once again. And this was in the days (1973) when controls and inspection standards were tighter/higher than they are today.

Caveat emptor.

Joanna