Milton the Anarchist Re: "post-leftism"

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Wed Aug 21 11:32:38 PDT 2002

"Brian O. Sheppard x349393" wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Chuck0 wrote:
>
> > What anarcho-syndicalist dogmatists like Brian refuse to understand is
> > that a factory run by the workers is still a fucking factory. The
> > pollution it puts out under the anarcho-syndicalist central committee
> > isn't more sweet-smelling. The work involved is still factory work, which
> > is usually boring or dangerous or some combination thereof.
>
> This is exactly why I have emphasized, along with nearly all of the rest
> of the
> libertarian left, community and worker control, Chuck0. If
> community members and the workers who work inside plants - or whatever
> work arrangements they feel are best for their needs - have control over
> their goings-on - which is what anarchists of all stripes have
> historically advocated - why would they tolerate "boring or dangerous"
> conditions - or noxious pollution that kills them? Because they are
> masochists?

Community and worker control over their lives has been advocated by *all* anarchists, Brian, not just those of you who fetishize one form of anarchist ideology. What you fail to understand is the implications of this simple goal: as soon as everybody has real control over their lives, they aren't going to be very interested in doing the shitwork necessary to keep a high tech society going. If you can provide all of your material needs on only a few hours of work each week, then why in the hell would you volunteer your time in some factory, office or mine? If you have basic health care, plenty of food, a roof over your head, some interesting cultural opportunities, why are you going to volunteer your extra time at some chemical plant?

<< Chuck0 >>

Personal homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/index.html Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)