comparing apples with oranges?

frank scott frank at marin.cc.ca.us
Thu Dec 5 17:33:26 PST 2002

it's great to live among the privileged class that can view rhetoric as being equal to action, as in this comparison of a coup in Venezuela with leftist speechifying in the usa:

"The Workers World Party openly calls for overthrowing the US system and the left here has lots of slogans like "regime change begins at home." Does this mean the US government is within its rights to jail all WWP members and all those who have associated with them in rallies?"

guess what would happen to that group, or even some of us around here, if the washington dc regime was thrown out, and some representative of "us" took power?

hint: this is not Venezuela, and chavez - whatever real or imagined faults the pristine american left may find with his politics, when compared with their own freedom to pontificate about democracy from behind keyboards - is in no way, shape or form as great a threat to the world as the shithead who runs this nation, and under whose control ( power?) we are, still, relatively helpless...

maybe if we could do something about that, instead of lecturing foreigners about "real" democracy ,or quoting sources revealing their alleged mass murders, brutalities, links to fascists, anti-semitism and a host of other sins, we might set a standard to be emulated, instead of being reduced to endless kvetching about the imperfections seen from our lofty - in air - positions . fs