La France n'exite pas

Cian O'Connor cian_oconnor at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Feb 24 10:16:16 PST 2002

It's Belgian. Can't remember the name, but made by two brothers who also made Rosetta (which won something at cannes a couple of years back). La Haine is not great.

There have been a number of good French films in recent years, but they tend not to get picked up in the US. "Dream life of Angels" was pretty good, and Oliver Assays is an underrated French director. Also Doc - "The Gleaners and I" was a huge hit in France recently.

There does seem to be a generation of very slick, very bad, young directors though. All sucked on the teat of Advertising/Rock Videos presumably. Horrible, vacuous, idiotic stuff.

--- joanna bujes <joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com