manna for conspiracists

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Tue Jan 8 16:08:33 PST 2002

Hakki Alacakaptan wrote:
> >More great logic: If it's on CNN, it can't be a conspiracy. CNN also
> >reported the Unocal story, even mentioning Unocal Veep John Maresca's
> >testimony before the house subcomittee on Asia and the Pacific in 1998. But
> >it left out the juciest parts and ended the story with: "So the idea that
> >oil is now driving this war is totally unrealistic. It would be more
> >sensible to be considering a pipeline on the moon."

Doug Henwood:
> Lemme see if I have this straight. The war on Afg has nothing to do
> with 9/11 - it's all about oil. Either: 1) 9/11 doesn't matter, or 2)
> Bush arranged it as a pretext for the war. Is there a third option?

Blind luck? Or, recalling Julius Caesar's "What some men call luck, I call preparation", one can imagine that preparation had been made and an incident was being awaited which would be ambiguous enough to enable transferral to hapless Afghanistan; but probably not the cornucopia of political fortune which actually fell out.

-- Gordon