Up and down the road to a big anti-war movement

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Fri Jan 11 08:07:35 PST 2002

---- Original Message ----- From: "Charles Brown" <CharlesB at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us>

CB: The war started 90 days ago. How much had the anti-glob movement accomplished 90 days into glob ?

-I support and hail the anti-glob movement, but I don't think the organizers of it have done so - much that they can start criticizing the anti-war movement 90 days into the war, which is what - was going on on this thread. What anti-globers should be doing is expressing solidarity with -the anti-war movement, not bragging about how much better they are at organizing than the anti-war organizers.

The antiwar movement is over a decade into fighting the newest round of US interventons, from Panama to the Gulf War to Afghanistan, and the support by the public for each war has INCREASED over that period. The verdict on the present configuration of antiwar organizing is clear-- it's a complete and utter failure. Talking about "90 days" ignores the historical roots of those early efforts.

The anti-globalization movement should steer well clear of the antiwar organizers who have proven their ability to alienate the public and fail miserably. Why should the global justice movement be talking about anything other than the poverty and injustice they were already talking about, especially since the deaths in Afghanistan are a blip on the radar of the millions who die each year from the poverty and disease driven by neoliberal economic polices? Fighting the latter can command popular support-- it would be idiotic politically to link it to a movement fighting a much lower level of harm that is incredibly unpopular.

But I know, better to be unpopular and righteous than to compromise for base pragmatic reasons.

Nathan Newman