Up and down the road to a big anti-war movement

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Fri Jan 11 08:45:39 PST 2002

. . .
> The anti-globalization movement should steer well clear of the antiwar
> organizers who have proven their ability to alienate the public and fail
> miserably. Why should the global justice movement be talking
> about anything
> other than the poverty and injustice they were already talking about,
> especially since the deaths in Afghanistan are a blip on the radar of the
> millions who die each year from the poverty and disease driven by
> neoliberal
> economic polices? Fighting the latter can command popular support-- it
> would be idiotic politically to link it to a movement fighting a
> much lower
> level of harm that is incredibly unpopular.

Positions on the war aside, the current economic circumstances in Afghanistan ought to be a boost to the anti-glob movement. The U.S. has a special obligation to clean up the mess it has made (not just this fall, but since 1980). I think this case can be made without becoming ensnared in the right or wrong of the U.S. military intervention.

mbs