Up and down the road to a big anti-war movement

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Fri Jan 11 12:21:14 PST 2002

Just pretend Afghanistan needs more or less what any other poor screwed up country needs, only more so because of a) the damage wrought by two decades of war; and b) the obligation of the U.S. to compensate the innocent for the costs of its military mission.

That means aid, technology transfer, & relaxation of intellectual property (particularly in the pharmaceutical and agri areas). I presume Afgh has no debt so debt relief is not at issue, though easy credit terms for development loans could be.

You don't have to get into nation-building. Moreover, I very much doubt the depth of commitment of the Bushies to nation-building, so it's less of a concern for that reason as well.

mbs