slogans

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Tue Jan 29 16:22:37 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 3:49 PM Subject: Re: slogans

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
> So if people
> walking through midtown - bankers, secretaries, messengers - see
> group of people saying "burn your fucking banks!" they will
certainly
> be alarmed. They won't have to wait for the 11 o'clock news.

You do love easy targets. But the point is that those signs are going to be there; you or I or Yoshie or Lou Proyect can rant as much as we like; on this topic we are speaking to a blank wall as far as influencing anyone. They are, in my preferred metaphor, part of the weather of any mass political movement. Accept it and move on to considering how one can organize under the conditions as given.

Carrol

Ok, but how do we prevent endogenously driven disorganizing from occurring under the conditions given? Accepting the jerk factor in the weather means we're letting counterfinality trump solidarity as a technique of deepening commitment and bringing more citizens-workers into the festival. To think things will hold together without a minimum of agreed upon self-restraints by any and all groups in message-strategy-tactics means we could be on the way to repeating the mistakes that led to....Carter and Reagan.

Ian