Flag Waving

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jul 2 15:01:38 PDT 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Chuck Munson wrote:
>
> >This is complete bullshit! This is what people want to say to pollsters,
> >but it doesn't reflect reality. I've been observing these behaviors since
> >9-11 and I would argue that a minority of people fly the flag from their
> >car or from their home.
>
> Where you been? In my parents' neighborhood in suburban NJ, theirs is
> about the only house without flags. Many lawns are festooned with
> multiple flags even. Most apartment bldgs in nonpoor neighborhoods of
> Manhattan have flags displayed - a real shocker, in this hotbed of
> secular humanism.

My impression in Bloomington/Normal has been that fewer than 25% of cars and even fewer homes have flags. Some homes have merely a tiny little flag sticker on the front door, as some cars have merely a small sticker on one of the windows. Again impressionistically, the number has gone up again in the last few weeks. Is there a nodal point, where if so many homes on a block produce flags, there's a rush from the others? I haven't seen a single block with all flags, and there are only a few large ones.

Carrol .