Flag Waving

Alec Ramsdell aramsdell at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 2 20:18:37 PDT 2002

Carrol Cox wrote:

> Doug Henwood wrote:
> >
> > Chuck Munson wrote:
> >
> > >This is complete bullshit! This is what people
> want to say to pollsters,
> > >but it doesn't reflect reality. I've been
> observing these behaviors since
> > >9-11 and I would argue that a minority of people
> fly the flag from their
> > >car or from their home.
> >
> > Where you been? In my parents' neighborhood in
> suburban NJ, theirs is
> > about the only house without flags. Many lawns are
> festooned with
> > multiple flags even. Most apartment bldgs in
> nonpoor neighborhoods of
> > Manhattan have flags displayed - a real shocker,
> in this hotbed of
> > secular humanism.
>
> [. . .]Is there a nodal point,
> where if so many
> homes on a block produce flags, there's a rush from
> the others? I
> haven't seen a single block with all flags, and
> there are only a few
> large ones.

It's refreshing to have just moved to a heavily Puerto Rican strip of Humboldt Park in Chicago. Maybe it's the two monumental and steely-looking Puerto Rican flags bracing Division St. a few blocks on either side of us. If there's a rush from others here, it's for a few more PR flags. I haven't noticed the Stars 'n' Stripes alongside the PR banner regularly seen being driven around the neighborhood. But then this is not a nonpoor neighboorhood.

Alec