Globalization study: Less poverty, more equality

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jul 8 12:40:01 PDT 2002

Kevin Robert Dean wrote:

>Fair enough--so what do you think the apologists mean
>when they say "Globalization"? I'm sure they simply
>mean some sort of trade liberalization--if that's the
>case, can we talk about any specific date that it
>happened and work our way from there?

Hard to date it. Trade liberalization began right after WW II. Trade antiliberalization helped grease the skids for depression and war in the 1930s. European social democracies have very high levels of trade - higher than the U.S. And how can you isolate trade or "globalization" from other influences, e.g., the deregulation of everything everywhere?

Doug