tomatoes / chalupas up .034 cents ?

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 24 11:15:23 PDT 2002

>Agreed that teachers and lawyers and tomato pickeres should all be paid
>a fair price for their labor, and not expected to do it for love. But I
>do have some questions in terms of relative difficulty of the jobs
>involved.
>
>1) Is it inherent in the nature of legal briefs that they have to be
>written 15 hours a day for three weeks staights?

Conditions for junior associates at big firms are pretty exploitative, although you will laugh at people whose starting first year salaries are over $100,000 a year saying this, but in fact the hours are brutal. Probably when you are on trial there is no way to avoid these hours; you wouldn't want to drag out a trial for the convenience of the lawyers. Most lawyers aren't litigators, though.

Is there something
>about procudeing them that would prevent a decently set up society from
>allowing more writers of legal briefs to put in few hours?

Some people would say we have too many writers of legal briefs as it is.

>2) If you were offered the same pay per hour, and the same number of
>hours per year, and the same schedule, which job would you prefer:
>
>A) writing legal briefs?
>B) stoop labor picking tomatos?
>C) Cashier at a busy Walmart?

Me, writing legal briefs. But I am not kidding you when I say that this is not a choice that most people would make. I am, after all, a guy who writes philosophy articles are fun. My guess is that most people would regard a job that required lots of writing as a particularly sadistic form of torture. That probably includes most of the people who do migrant farm labor and cashier work at Walmart (the latter is a job that would not exist in a decent society, btw). It might even include most of them even if they were given an opportunity to have a good education and to choose between writing jobs and less onerous physical or clerical labor. My sister had that opportunity, went to good colleges, then gave up a job as a biz exec to become a union carpenter. I'd be hopeless with a hammer in my hand.

jks