Question for Liza about Palestinian Solidarity Activism at OSU

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Jun 1 14:08:56 PDT 2002

***** FEATURE STORY | June 17, 2002

The Mideast War Breaks Out on Campus

by LIZA FEATHERSTONE

...Opponents of the pro-Palestine activists sometimes invoke the ISO connection in a--perhaps redbaiting--effort to discredit the cause and its adherents. But Shingavi bristles at the suggestion that the ISO is leading pro-Palestine organizing on campus, citing ISO-free campuses where students are active on the issue (including Florida State, Northwestern and the University of Illinois). Still, at many schools--including Columbia, Ohio State, Michigan, New York University and the California state universities--there is no doubt that the organization plays a strong role in Palestinian solidarity organizing, and that its networks facilitate coordination among campuses....

<http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20020617&s=featherstone> *****

I just happened upon Liza's article and was surprised to read the above paragraph. Is _anyone_ in the Committee for Justice in Palestine at the Ohio State University -- much less anyone who is doing regular organizing work for it -- a member of ISO??? If so, I am unaware of who it is. It's possible (though unlikely, I think) that someone is an ISO member and hasn't told me that s/he is, but even if there is one (or more) in the closet, I just don't see _any_ evidence _at all_ that ISO "plays a strong role in Palestinian solidarity organizing" at OSU. I'm puzzled. Is ISO claiming credit for organizing the Committee for Justice in Palestine at OSU??? If so, the claim is false. I applaud the ISO for doing a good job at Berkeley and other schools, but it can't claim the credit that it doesn't deserve. -- Yoshie