Posting whole articles

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Wed Jun 12 12:45:42 PDT 2002

Without going into all the legal technicalities and four-part tests of fair use, the argument is that copyright infringement involves any reproduction of copyrighted materials that undermines the market or substitutes for the original work. Since posting the whole article means that a person will not go to the original site (seeing the advertising) or pay for archive access later, the original copyright holder has been deprived of income and thus an infringement has occurred.

What of fair use, you might say? Well, some argue it has largely been abolished, especially as courts have said that non-profits can be considered commercial entrprises through fundraising in cases of copyright infringement that serves such purposes. In the case of LBO, it could be argued that the whole LBO list is a sophisticated advertising endeavor by Doug to sell copies of the print LBO; thus all the copyrighted materials serve his financial self-interest and has no fair use protection.

Of course, linking can follow the same argument, so the reductio argument is that all use of materials, whether articles or links, can happen only at the discretion of the original copyright holder.

Being a public forum actually has little bearing on the issue, except that the economic loss could potentially be larger to the copyright holder.

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org http://www.nathannewman.org http://www.nathannewman.org/log/ (News & Views WebLog)