costs of two centuries of industrialisation

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 16 08:02:38 PDT 2002

Chuck writes

"However, what was ignored was the `cost' of the entire two centuries of industrialization"

yes, isn't it terrible that life expectancy has climbed to seventy, women are allowed out of the home, infant mortality has gone down, people can communicate over thousands of miles in seconds, and circle the globe in two days, that we spend just over a tenth of our income on food (rather than most of it), that literacy is near universal, that children go to school, that vaccinations for whooping cough, diphtheria and rubella are available, that population has reached five billion, that nations all over the world have attained political independence, that women and working people throughout Europe and the Americas can vote. -- James Heartfield The 'Death of the Subject' Explained is available at GBP11.00, plus GBP1.00 p&p from Publications, audacity.org, 8 College Close, Hackney, London, E9 6ER. Make cheques payable to 'Audacity Ltd'