costs of two centuries of industrialisation

pms laflame at aaahawk.com
Sun Jun 16 08:56:34 PDT 2002

These things were reluctantly granted by the powerful, partially because they needed the labor of the masses. As that labor becomes less valued the Thugs will take the goodies back. As we see now. Really it's been coming a long time. Once blacks and women started refusing to work at a large discount, it was time to move the pie. And what a pie it was after years of gravy from WWII. Coincidently the rebellion of these groups of cheap/free labor began to look successful right around the time that Nixon ditched the gold standard and told China we'd do business with them Thus creating a world where pies can fly. ----- Original Message ----- From: James Heartfield <Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Sunday, June 16, 2002 11:02 AM Subject: costs of two centuries of industrialisation

> Chuck writes
>
> "However, what was ignored was the `cost' of the entire
> two centuries of industrialization"
>
> yes, isn't it terrible that life expectancy has climbed to seventy,
> women are allowed out of the home, infant mortality has gone down,
> people can communicate over thousands of miles in seconds, and circle
> the globe in two days, that we spend just over a tenth of our income on
> food (rather than most of it), that literacy is near universal, that
> children go to school, that vaccinations for whooping cough, diphtheria
> and rubella are available, that population has reached five billion,
> that nations all over the world have attained political independence,
> that women and working people throughout Europe and the Americas can
> vote.
> --
> James Heartfield
> The 'Death of the Subject' Explained is available at GBP11.00, plus
GBP1.00 p&p
> from Publications, audacity.org, 8 College Close, Hackney, London, E9 6ER.
Make