FW: The anti-imperialism of fools

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Jun 18 23:48:12 PDT 2002

At 1:32 AM -0400 6/19/02, pms wrote:
>Look I think blowing people up sucks. And I'm sure if I knew the stories of
>people killed the pity would be more visceral. But what about the time, the
>months before the suicide bombing. The crazy agressive statements by
>Israeli military leaders that would show up in the paper, the Palestinian
>boys shot through the head, the settlements steadily growing(and who knows
>what the water situation might be), not to mention a right-wing crazy
>killing the old leader and seeing that leader replaced by the head
>right-wing crazy? Certain elements in Israel were intent on provoking the
>Palestinians into a response. I can't imagine what other response they
>thought they'd get.

One does and should understand desperate circumstances that drive desperate people to desperate means, but desperate circumstances do not necessarily make all desperate means just. Armed struggles against the might of the IDF, armed settlers, & military installations are one thing; bombings that result in the deaths of civilians (_especially_ the deaths of minors outside the Occupied Territories) are another. We should _not_ bundle up all suicide bombings into one indistinguishable bunch. Our judgements should change, depending on who and what are targets.

BTW, what is unjust can have an unintended impact that benefits some objectively. I'm sure Palestinian suicide bombers _never_ intended to benefit Iraqis _in any way_, but the turmoils that they have caused did have an effect of postponing the planned US war on Iraq, I think. Likewise, what is just can have an unintended impact that negatively affects others. The American Civil War was a just war for the Union, and it ended chattel slavery, benefiting US blacks. However, it helped to accelerate US industrialization, which helped to make the USA an empire -- now _the_ Empire that has eclipsed all others. -- Yoshie