Plato

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Tue Jun 25 20:16:29 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin Schwartz" <jkschw at hotmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 7:31 AM Subject: Re: Plato

> >Please don't equate my statements as police behavior. Ever.
>
> Gee, sorry, you're sensitive today!

=============

No just when people equate what I write on this list with police behavior. :-) You know Carrol and I have been bantering around the issues of metaphor and the like since I could afford a computer and joined this discussion group. Why do you think every time Carrol and I disagree on stuff that we're engaged in adversarial communication?

> Ahh, so you are bothered by what you see as a normative or moral
implication
> in the term. That's not what I meant. I was speaking purely
positively. And
> why indeed cannot one analogize the unintended effects of
intentional
> behavior to falling off a ladder? Who appointed you to the
Acadamie Anglais?
> This is language uh, nun behavior (I'm an old parochial school
product).

> jks

Ahh, but neither you nor Carrol indicated that you were using the term aberration in a non-normative sense, which is doubly problematic given the history of the term's normative associations. Who appoints anybody in charge of language? :-) Oh hey maybe it goes back to that old canard that language is politics.....and music in slow motion........and................

Ian