Utrice speaks

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Sun Mar 3 19:23:14 PST 2002

dlawbailey wrote:

> "Joisey" indeed, very drole. No, *I*, having moved to Seattle, give the
> place a wide berth. You live close enough to see the taillights of the cars
> going "down the shore".

i just got back from seattle - i love those parts! hiked around on the slopes of mt.rainier in 3 feet of snow (more outside the trails), walked around in the rainforests of olympic national park the next day! ferns with snow on them! the tallest spot we have here in jersey is high point (which is almost in new york state or pennsylvania) which if i remember is about 2000 feet! but if it sounds like i am complaining, thats only because thats our state sport in jersey and i am definitely happy to be here ;-). i leave new york (manhattan) to the flashy types ;-) (there is a scene in "sidewalks of new york" where two of the characters argue it out about which is the real new york: manhattan or the burroughs - interesting bit).

> Do you know that the actual music of the spheres - the background radiation
> from the Big Bang - was first heard in New Jersey? Think of it, the first
> tangible human experience of the beginning of the Universe took place in New
> Jersey. In ancient times they would have built a temple on the site. The
> state is practically a shrine to the progress of humankind.

good point! didnt we just recently talk about penziaz and wilson at bell labs? the site is not exactly a shrine, but is designated a national historic monument in the crawford hill building (lucent) in holmdel - you can actually drive up and check out the horn antenna - the place is not heavily guarded. just dont run over the turtle that lives in the little pond at the front - it likes to take walks on the roadway. i even posted the URL to my picture of the antenna on this list a while ago.

--ravi

apologies to anyone who is seeing this mail not wrapped around correctly. i have to disable the annoying "format=flowed" stuff.