Steel traiffs and politics (Re: Victories for instant runoff voting in SF & Vermont

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Sat Mar 9 10:16:11 PST 2002

>There is no doubt that the Dems are influenced by parts of
capital, but they
>are also influenced by their grassroots consistencies such as
labor. Folks
>can argue that labor is not getting enough for their support,
but to not
>even try to include the concessions made to labor just makes for
unusuable
>analysis.
>
>And of course, we once again have the equation of the Presidency
with the
>Party, as if three-fourths of Dems in the House did not reject
Fast-Track
>trade authority for Clinton and nearly all rejected fast track
authority for
>Bush last fall. What capital interests forced the Dems in
Congress to
>overwhelmingly reject fast track authority?
>
>Nathan Newman

Here on the north side of Chicago, in the 5th Congressional district, the two wings of the Democratic party are having it out in the primaries. Rahm Emanuel, who was an advisor in the Clinton administration, is neck in neck with Nancy Kaszak, a former state representative and grass-roots, community organizer. Most unions, NOW and EMILY's List are backing Kaszak and da Mayor is backing Emanuel. The mud is flying. A Polish community leader made some vague, untoward remarks about Emanuel's ethnicity during one of Kaszak's campaign stops, so she completely dissociated herself from the guy after Emanuel's campaign played it up. Emanuel describes passing NAFTA as one of his crowning achievements and amazingly EMILY's List has been running TV ads bashing him for it. Kaszak says the bill has "put 37,000 hard-working Illinoisans out of work" and that half a million jobs were lost in manufacturing alone since NAFTA was passed. A former Illinois Supreme Court judge is going to file a complaint with the FEC about the TV ads, because EMILY's List calls them issue advocacy ads whilst he says they're really campaign ads.

Peter