Kelly's rage

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Thu Mar 14 15:15:37 PST 2002

At 02:44 PM 3/14/02 -0800, joanna bujes wrote:
>At 03:07 PM 03/14/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>>inbreds is a reference to joanna's racist description of the klewless,
>>toothless inbreds (her word) that live in places like hicksville who are
>>disgusting because there are no bookstores.
>

>Oh, OK. So that's what pissed you off and that's why you've been pointedly
>ignoring me all this time. Good to know.
>
>Plattsburgh was a racist town whose cultural activities consisted of
>church and bars; church and bars.
>
>The college had a book store stocked with required class texts. It had no
>other books.
>
>Economic conditions do not account for all this. My grandfather had a
>sixth grade education; my grandmother had none. They had no money, but
>they ran a lending library out of their house.
>
>The basic institutions in the town were : a prison, an air force base, a
>college. I'm not sure which was most depressing.
>
>I take none of that back, though I apologize for "inbred."

it has nothing to do with their inner natures, though, does it? that's the problem with your claims: you turn it into something that has to do with their character, with their bodies. you may not mean to do this, but it is there when you do not stop to offer a structural analysis of the reasons why there are no bookstores. do YOU have time to open a bookstore? your grandparents lived in another country, in a different era. it is an assinine comparison. you should know better.

>But, my guess is, it doesn't matter what I say. You've decided to hate me
>and my elitist ways, so whatever.
>
>Joanna

yes, right. remiknds me oof the "strident feminists" who are dismissed as raging in order to lay the blame on them for their critique? what you do is even more problematic because you dismiss the critique of your and others' lack of class analysis by describing me as in a rage, rather than in the pain that i clearly indicated i was in by your and others' comments.

i hope the other folks on this list who've written me offlist to check in with a thumbs up for articulating how they feel will have the courage to speak up. maybe you can start to see that it's not about me or you, but about class warfare. i hold the left accountable for their behavior because they should know better. moreover, they should

you have no basis for claim ing that i hate you. i respond to your ideas, not you.

kelley