Kelly's rage

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Thu Mar 14 16:04:18 PST 2002

At 03:42 PM 3/14/02 -0800, Thomas Seay wrote:

>Kelley, do you think that Joanna is not aware of this?

no, i don't think she's aware of it. she wouldn't have blamed them for the lack of bookstores or denigrated their cultural practices. she doesn't know these people as far as i can tell. it's wrong, as wrong as someone complaining about blacks and their urban neighborhoods and the urban blight. none of us would do that. none of us would whine about how all those n-words have is a bunch of licker stores, pawn shops, and dollar generals, and only religious bookshops.

>Does she have to put a footnote (larger than her
>email)
>at the bottom of her email to clarify the reasons for
>"the ignorance of the countryside". Sure there are
>socioeconomic reasons that a place sucks...but does
>that mean you should say it doesn't suck?

yes, she does. see above.

>Also, the fact that you go on the attack again more
>than a month after she uttered
>the statement lends support to the notion that
>you have a problem with Joanna and are not just
>respectfully criticizing an idea.

that has to do with how painful it is to sit here and listen to disparaging remarks and then to be mocked because of my background. i don't want to admit it, in other words, because every time i make a typo, which has nothing to do with poverty, and every time i make sexual jokes, i have know that i will get pegged as a two bit bleach blonde hussy with no class and big tits or somesuch nonsense.

it is painful. i don't want to experience the pain. after you wrote offlist to reinscribe the oppressive stereotyping, i figgered i didn't need any more abuse.

i've addressed these issues several times on this list, mostly with good humor. but sorry, the inbred comment was just too ignorant to let go and, besides, joanna wanted an explanation. i finally got around to providing her with one.

kelley