Dicks n' Dough

Matt Cramer cramer at unix01.voicenet.com
Fri Mar 15 23:08:51 PST 2002

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002 sui.generis at myrealbox.com wrote:

> >Hmmmm. As I understand it Marco puts up an archive via hypermail on the
> >www. Google crawls it and it can come up in search results, just like any
> >other website.
>
> oh you really should SDSTFU. you do NOT know who you are talking to. lose
> the condescending crap with someone who has been programming, running a
> network, and other '1eet things longer than you've been out of diapers.

Oh I know and I don't give a flying fuck. It is still ignorant to whine than when you post to a list without X-No-Archive headers that the list may be available to the public. Sheesh.

[BTW please give your paragraph a snit dick sling-o-meter rating. Your use of "leet" ought to earn you some serious points.]

> furthermore, doug participated in about two years of heated debate on the
> Bad Subjects list about whether to archive anything long term. so, those of
> us here from that debate know that doug knows full well how a significant
> number of us feel about these issues.
>
> he was aware. furthermore, i've also told him frequently how we could use
> spidercide and how we can obscure the email addresses so we don't get spam.

I replied when the topic shifted from spam to privacy. Like it or not, online privacy is not a given, never has been. If you want it, you have to build it yourself.

> but he just doesn't give a shit because he participates in some sort of
> warped bourgeois consciousness about his ownership of the list.

What is the warped consciousness that makes it Doug's responsiblity as list manager to obfuscate certain people's identities because they are uncomfortable with their posts being viewable by others?

Look, my point is just that it is silly to put the onus on Doug to provide address obfuscation for any reason; despite your claim many lists DO NOT do this. People that want it can do it themselves, and people that don't want it won't do it. If people think they should give him shit for not doing it list-wide then people ought to be prepared to get shit for not doing it for themselves.

Matt

-- Matt Cramer <cramer at voicenet.com> http://www.voicenet.com/~cramer/ PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 icq: 120941588

yahoo msg: beyondzero123 "We don't know if it was a case of international terrorism... or road rage."

-FBI Agent Frank Perry, commenting on the three-state alert regarding a car containing 'middle eastern men' which alledgedly tried to run a fuel truck off the road.