It's official: No military action against Iraq (beyond the usual perpetualbombing)

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Thu Mar 21 12:46:57 PST 2002

. . . All true, but anyone who thinks the war in Afghanistan is over isn't
> looking. Where are those alleged 800 dead a-Q/T fighters from Operation
> Anaconda? I believe the confirmed deaths are aboyt 12, to eight
> US, which,
> if appriximately accurate, means that the a-Q/T forces won a decisive,
> indeed a stunning victory against overwhelming odds. Remember,
> the last army
> to defeat the Afghans was Alexander the Great's, and they allowed
> open gays
> in the military.

I suspect you are right about the dimensions of the U.S. victory being overstated, possibly to grandiose proportions, but this doesn't mean there is still not enough residual bluster and overconfidence to propel the U.S. into Iraq.

I meant to report there was a good Democracy Now program on yesterday -- guests were Ramsey Clark and James Woolsey, but the best part was the debate between Woolsey and a caller from the Arab-American Anti-Discrimination Committee, or something like that, named Ibish Hussein (sp?). He took Woolsey apart pretty well. Clark has clearly done goofy things but he held up his end well enough.

The best part was Woolsey citing C. Hitchens in the Nation and Tod Gitlin in Mother Jones as support for his position.

mbs